Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mary Love Comer - Come Out Of The Sandbox

It's early sunday morning and I couldn't think of a more tasty tune for the occassion. I'm not a terribly religious man, and I'm not sure what Mary Love Comer is talking about, but I think it doesn't sound like a bad idea for us to come out of the sandbox. I've been making more aquisitions in the Modern Soul and Gospel avenues lately. And, this tune is a little of both. The sound and production is unique and completely tasty. It's funny, many years ago I would have shunned the production shying away from the keyboard slap bass sound. A bit too Seinfeld for my tastes I would have joked. But, as you'll see, something about a well crafted tune can open your ears to just about anything. Something to be said for the obvious passion that she's feeling on the subject too. And, I love how this little tune builds with passion and becomes a vessel for her excellent vocal style. Mary recorded singles in the 60's including northern soul floor fillers like the genius 'Lay This Burden Down' and 'Turned My Bitter Into Sweet'. She resurfaced as Mary Love Comer some time in the early 80's. Enjoy coming out of the sandbox y'all.

Mary Love Comer - Come Out Of The Sandbox

No comments:

Post a Comment