Thursday, March 26, 2009

Willie Rosario - Que Humanidad

Whenever I hear tunes like this I conjure up visions of New York in the summer time. People siting on the edges of window sills and hanging on Porch stoops. A time in new york during the late 60's and early 70's when the Boogaloo and latin soul scenes were the teaming with passion and at the top of their game.
Most of my truly great finds in this genre were sold to me by a fella named Pete 'The Greek'. So many records I got from him were completely genius and became staples in my Boogaloo and Latin collection and DJ sets. They were certified grooves of that era, not only because of how great they sounded, but because they were the actual records Pete and his friends danced to at parties. I spent some considerable time with him and heard amazing stories as to what the scene was like there. He shared his personal photo albums with me, and though there weren't pictures of the actual recording artists of that scene, the pictures of his personal friends were straight out of LP covers of the time. All decked out in the smartest and slickest clothes, Pete and his friends looked straight out of the Riot (Joe Bataan) lp cover.
Okay, maybe minus the clubs and knives! But, to me it was an endless source of potential new covers waiting to be released. The dudes were handsome and the chicks were foxy, and they all had the dopest rags. This Lp was one of the records I rememeber was difficult for him to part with. I told him it would be in good hands and now shared with you, he would hopefully agree. This Guajira, 'Que Humanidad' was a move away from the heavy handclapping sound and americanized latin soul that I was into, and a transition into slower more vibrant and less commercial more traditional latin music like cumbia and salsa. This track to me was like low riding music, the kind I'd play on a saturday out my apartment windows. So important to me in my favorite tunes that the baritone sax accompany that stand up bass, makes for a more ferocious groove, and 'Humanidad' is the perfect example. Check out this slow charging Guajira

Willie Rosario - Que Humanidad

2 comments:

  1. yo, homie. What's up with this link? It says its expired. i was looking forward to checking out the tune. Hook it up, please! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, don't know what happened but we're all straight now my man.

    ReplyDelete