Thursday, April 30, 2009

Townsend, Townsend, Townsend & Rogers

This album had quite a mystique around it within my collection. Mostly because I made a mix tape for a friend that featured "Wondering" and I honestly couldn't recall who the track was. The tape was made maybe 2002-2003, but it felt like hundreds of years ago. This fine friend who I had made the tape for asked me who this artist was, and I too pondered it for some time. Sometimes, knowing your own collection is essential, and sometimes not knowing your own collection can be like Christmas. When I finally re-discovered this, I realized the song had no similarities to the title (at least in my mind). I was looking for a song called "You Broke My Heart" or "Keep Coming Back". Go figure.
 A very richly produced debut LP, simmering in smooth harmonies and deep with soulful textures. Originally included in this notorious 'mixtape' for samples and beat making ideas, it holds it's own as a tasteful listen from start to finish. "Wondering" almost sounds as though the keyboard elements have already been run through the sampler, (don't know how they got that effect.. could be the Yamaha CP25) and "Bring It Down To The Real" actually sparks up in several places which I sampled into a song. 
Ed Townsend wrote hits in the 60's, worked with Phil Spector and co-wrote Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On". With that kind of background,  you'd be a fool to pass up what this family group had to offer. It amazes me how so many pieces of musical history are missing and it's a joy to put them together. I'm not sure if they had a follow up to this LP. Anyone know? The comments section is right below. 
I've selected the two best cuts from this LP, but it should be tracked down as an essential rare groove and sweet soul LP. Enjoy!


Townsend, Townsend, Townsend & Rogers - Wondering

Townsend, Townsend, Townsend & Rogers - Bring It Down To The Real

No comments:

Post a Comment