Sunday, August 29, 2010

Dwight Thompson - My Woman Is Calling

Dutch funk. Dwight started out as a DJ, then became a club owner, and then recording artist. Mostly unknown in the states, he enjoyed quite a history in Holland, France and Germany. This his first 7" venture.."woman is calling" was released in 1975 and was a minor hit. Dwight didn't see major success again until 1984 with "Girls". To me, this track has a vocal tone that's the epitome of 'rare groove'. It's jazzy and funky disco with harmonies and attack that is smooth and clever. It's also got a 'world music' feel to it..which a lot of great 'rare groove' does. It seems to fall somewhere between Joe Bataan and Gil Scott Heron. That's a hell of a compliment. And, hell of a good direction to be headed if you ask me. This track is from his 'Hypocrisy' LP, also released the same year. I don't have it yet, (I only have this 7") but it looks very promising and...hard as woodpecker lips to track down on OG wax.



Dwight Thompson - My Woman Is Calling

No comments:

Post a Comment