Monday, August 2, 2010

Eilijah Rock - Piece Of The Rock


While at a BBQ picnic reunion this weekend, I got to chopping it up with a long time friend and soul buddy Kirk Harper. We got to talking about savagely awesome soul vocalists and some that leave a little more to be desired. True some soul singers 'bring it' and other just don't have the 'pipes'. But, I pointed out that in both old and new stuff there's the appeal of the unusual tones and non-classic training or talent. In fact I've noticed this because of the growing interests I'm developing in something I think is best coined as 'Indie-Soul'. We've seen the genius of the home studio types, George Smallwood, Lonnie Hewitt, and the tinkering of Shuggie Otis. And, newer stuff like Cody Chestnutt all the way to Myron and E. Not to say (AT ALL) that these cats aren't talented, in fact quite the opposite, but that the vocal stylings are a little more un-conventional. Which for me as a collector and enthusiast makes it all the more genius. In all of the instances in fact, I'm a huge fan. Often times for me its even better than the standard soul singer. If there is such a thing. Give it to me lo-fi, raggedy, raspy, janky, and dodgy sounding as possible. Sometimes, you gotta turn down the talent, boost up the creativity, and the outcome is more intimate and real.
Enter Elijah Rock. I know nothing about this man, but the legacy he leaves us in a few inches of a few soul records is remarkable. I couldn't find this tune anywhere on the net. Nowhere! And, there's little to be had in his small catalog except for the two seven's I have. This little 45 "Piece Of The Rock" on the label of the same name sounds as though it was recorded in one take and all played by Mr. Rock. Now, I could be wrong, but listen for yourself. Hopefully you'll enjoy this premiere, this rare piece of boogie keyboard funk and obscure off the beaten path indie soul.

Eilijah Rock - Piece Of The Rock

1 comment: