Friday, December 10, 2010

The Bobbettes - Zoomy

Honestly I forget exactly how this came into the collection. But, never will I forget the Bobbettes. They are the best. The are crazy fun, hyper energy and oh-so soulful. I remember being majorly 'into' this 45 and madly searching for more like it. At the time I couldn't find what I was looking for, but later discovered more like it. Mostly it was within their own catalog. This is in part a sequel to my post about my wedding music cause the Bobbettes make me extremely happy. Plus burning around town in a drop top mustang for the week with these fine ladies playing out loud was a kick. I couldn't have picked a better soundtrack to our honeymoon. It's doo wop from the ladies and they ain't messin' around. Recording 'Mr. Lee' in 1957 that group was super young. The oldest being about 14 at the time of recording. They never had greater success than 'Mr. Lee' but the legacy they left is incredible. 'Zoomy' is their third single and released in 1958. Atlantic records dropped them fairly early in their career, but they pushed on well into the 70's and even have a few 80's joints on Sunnyview and again on Atlantic calling them the 'Bobbettes 1981'. These five girls from Harlem are incredible...judge for yourself. This is the creme of the crop for their excellent early sound. But, please check their entire catalog.




The Bobbettes - Zoomy

No comments:

Post a Comment