Saturday, December 11, 2010

Bobby Bland - I Wouldn't Treat A Dog (The Way You Treated Me)

Aside from being a strong runner for longest song title in the world, it's a tasty bit of bluesy funk from the incomparable Bobby 'Blue' Bland.
When I discovered his original version it knocked me down. You see, I had only heard the Rhythm Heritage's version, which was flip side to 'The Theme From S.W.A.T.'
When I was a kid growing up in San Francisco I had a small group of 45's. No more than a nine year old should have. A few I remember... 'More Bounce To The Ounce', 'Flashlight' and 'SWAT Theme'. I remember as kids popping and locking in the bathrooms at school to these songs. Perhaps only having exposure to a few 45's, I fell in love with 'treat you like a dog' even as an instrumental track. Their version is actually pretty sick too. It was something about the melody and hook. So, you can imagine 15 years later when I heard Bobby's smooth vocals my head just about shattered. Or, perhaps it was my pants that shattered? (thanks JB for the shitty visuals) But, nevertheless this tune is a swooner. Laid back urban funky groove from 'the man' of the blues himself Bobby Bland.



Bobby Bland - I Wouldn't Treat A Dog (The Way You Treated Me)

1 comment: