Saturday, February 19, 2011

Glass - Getty Up

Probably one of my favorite electro boogie LP's ever. This tune 'Getty Up' uses some nice vocoder and has a bubbly robotic feel. I think this was just used by Onra for a tune, but I can't verify. It's not that I can't buy the new stuff, I just haven't had a chance yet. Actually most of my cash is tied up in buying 'old stuff' at the moment. Give it 15 to 20 years and I'll be struggling to find a rare 12 inch from 2009. If even that long. This is one tune with some very clean backing vocals. Favorite part...when the bridge comes and they sing 'getty-up to-the-beat' ...very nice indeed. It does kind of bubble doesn't it? This is some serious space port action, gear up into your space suit, check your lunar landing gear, type of future funk.

Glass had this one LP and a few 12 inch releases, one of which 'Bedrock', was a minor hit for them. They were from Houston, Texas and this LP came out in 1983 on the Houston Connection Recording Corporation label. John Williams headed Glass and after the band broke up, he recorded and released several records under the names Mikki Bleu and Jonnie Baby.
You should really seek out his LP for the other tracks that are in the same vein as this tune. 'Bedrock', 'What's Your Name' and 'Stomp' are all slamming. It's a solid LP of well rounded boogie funk.
Now. Getty up to the beat. Pronto.


Glass - Getty Up

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite LP in this style. Don't forget the tune Sexy. The 45 of Stomp b/w Sexy actually has better mixes than the LP and is slept on price wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one. I don't have any 45's from this Lp. I just have Bedrock on a 12" but I'll look out for the 45's now thanks to your tip. thnx!

    ReplyDelete